Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

This year, I decided to not allow the holiday to pass once more without actually focusing in on all His blessings - it seems like so many years, aside from the one prayer over dinner, we get so caught up in the hustle and bustle that thankfulness is hardy top priority in our minds.  So, I took the time Wednesday ("Thanksgiving Eve") to actually sit down and make a list of all His blessings I could think of - not like an inventory of "x many CDs, x many necklaces," etc., but of the concrete things that truly affect our lives.  Here are a few interesting items from my list:

I live in a time and country where even non-rich women like myself can learn to read and receive and education - even through a doctorate degree.
I have a calling as a writer and as a spiritual teacher - that means that God created me to impact lives.
I have an immensely supportive family that truly loves me - and no matter how much some relatives can be annoying (especially around the holidays), I can always count on them.
I live in a country where we actually have access to Bibles, and where I don't have to worry about getting executed for living openly as a follower of Jesus Christ.
I live in the age of movies, digital music, and the Internet - I have instant access to so much that, for millenia, was considered a luxury only for the elite.
God wants to spend time with me, personally - He is my Bridegroom, my Teacher, my Redeemer...and He invests in me.

"Thou who hast given so much to me, give me one more thing - a grateful heart!"
- George Herbert

What are some things you are grateful for this year?  How has God blessed your life?

No comments: