Saturday, May 11, 2013

Heaven on Earth?

The devotional I'm reading through this year is Jesus Calling by Sarah Young.  I found the May 8th entry from this week especially powerful, and thought some of you might benefit from it as well:

"Do not long for the absence of problems in your life.  That is an unrealistic goal, since in this world you will have trouble.  You have an eternity of problem-free living reserved for you in heaven.  Rejoice in that inheritance, which no one can take away from you, but do not seek your heaven on earth.

"Begin each day anticipating problems, asking Me to equip you for whatever difficulties you will encounter.  The best equipping is My living Presence, My hand that never lets go of yours.  Discuss everything with Me.  Take a lighthearted view of trouble, seeing it as a challenge that you and I together can handle.  Remember that I am on your side, and I have overcome the world."

The corresponding Scriptures listed in the devotional are:

These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you will have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.
- John 16:33

For I am the Lord your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, "Do not fear, I will help you."
- Isaiah 41:13

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
- Philippians 4:13

How does this relate to your life right now?  If you're reading a devotional this year, what are you reading?  Leave a comment below to share. :-)

You can buy Jesus Calling at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or CBD.

Young, Sarah.  Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence.  Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2004.  Print.

No comments: