Sunday, May 19, 2013

She's Got Issues

I like when other bloggers post reviews of Christian books so I can find out what's worth my time and hear about new titles and authors - so I figured I'd share my thoughts on another book I just finished reading. :-)

The book is She's Got Issues: Seriously Good News for Stressed-Out, Secretly Scared Control Freaks Like Us by Nicole Unice.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Based on the title, I was expecting this book to cover things like time management and how to relieve stress.  Instead, it covers personality/relationship issues (control, insecurity, comparison, fear, anger, and unforgiveness).  So it simply wasn't what I was looking for.

Overall, the book is pretty basic material - good reminders of stuff I've heard before, plus a few fresh insights.  Because of that, I think this book is best suited for women who are either new believers or getting serious about their faith for the first time.

Women's small groups also might get more out of this book, as discussions would add some meat.

One aspect of the book I did appreciate was a theme Unice wove throughout the book:

"... [I used to believe] that Jesus works despite my issues or around my issues.  But now I believe the truth: he wants to work right through my issues."

She based this principle off a quote by C.S. Lewis:

"What one calls the interruptions are precisely one's real life - the life God is sending one day by day: what one calls one's 'real life' is a phantom of one's imagination."

You can buy She's Got Issues at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or CBD.

Have you read this book, and if so, what did you think of it?
What else have you been reading lately?
Leave a comment below. :-)

No comments: