Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hodge-Podge Sunday

Well, today is the first Hodge-Podge Sunday, which will vary from week to week.  Today, I've posted a YouTube video that I came across analyzing why it is so critical for us to be intimately familiar with the Word of God, and also a famous Christian poem (both below).  Other ideas I have for future Sundays are non-fiction Christian book reviews (and occassional giveaways), topical studies, and Q and As (if you have a question about what a passage means or what the Bible says about something, post it in the comments section; I'll have this available every Sunday).  Which of these sound good to you?  What other ideas do you have?  All suggestions are welcome!

First, here's a Christian poem I recently ran across - apparently a "classic."  Now, if you're not a poetry person, don't close the window!!!  I'm definitely not one, so the fact that this one stuck out to me means it's at least worth trying, right? :-)  But if you must, go ahead and scroll down to the video instead. :-D

“The Dying Christian to His Soul” by Alexander Pope

Vital spark of heav’nly flame,
Quit, oh, quit, this mortal frame!
Trembling, hoping, ling’ring, flying,
Oh, the pain, the bliss of dying!
Cease, fond Nature, cease thy strife,
And let me languish into life!

Hark! they whisper; Angels say,
Sister Spirit, come away.
What is this absorbs me quite,
Steals my senses, shuts my sight,
Drowns my spirits, draws my breath?
Tell me, my Soul! can this be Death?

The world recedes; it disappears;
Heav’n opens on my eyes; my ears
With sounds seraphic ring:
Lend, lend your wings! I mount! I fly!
O Grave! where is they Victory?
O Death! where is thy Sting?

And now, the video:

No comments: