Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saint Patrick's Day

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, everyone! :-)

In honor of the holiday, I thought for today's video I'd share a brief history of Patrick himself.  It's really cool to discover how God used him to advance His kingdom.



Sorry for the lack of Bible study post this week, by the way.  We had some house guests and I wanted to devote as much time as possible to them.  I'm back on schedule this coming week, however. :-)

Bible study tip of the week: Don't shy away from reading Church history.
Now, I should temper that by saying that I strongly oppose the overemphasis some place on studying Church history to the point that they spend more time on that than on studying actual Scripture.  But, here are a few cool benefits of spending a bit of time on Church history:
- If you study early Church history, it can greatly aid your understanding of the culture in which the New Testament was written, how the New Testament was compiled, and how Christianity's central beliefs were solidified (the same goes for studying the history of the time periods portrayed in the Old Testament).
- By studying history in general, you can discover ways in which the prophecies of the Bible have been - and are being - directly fulfilled.
- When reading biographies of figures from Church history (like St. Patrick above), you can be inspired to draw closer to God.  You'll also discover that many of the miracles recorded in the New Testament have also occurred throughout history - right up to now.

This week's prayer request: I'm currently trying to rework my schedule a bit so I'll have time to post Bible studies on this blog far more regularly and also more time to devote to writing in general.  Please pray that God would lead me in showing me what to do when.
What would you like prayer for?  Drop me a note in the comments section so I can pray for you - no matter how big or small! ^_^

No comments: