Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Few Great Bible Study Books You May Like...

Hey everyone!  I'll have another Bible study post up sometime Friday (life's a little crazy right now), but in the meantime, I thought I'd share a few Bible study books I've ran across over the years that earn my rare 5-star review.

Beautiful Outlaw by John Eldredge

Beautiful Outlaw examines the personality of Jesus in an intimate, energetic, excited, conversational manner.  Eldredge uses passages from the gospels to show sides of Jesus - cunning, playful, free - that are sometimes missed.  This is a superb book if you want to get to know Jesus-as-Man.






Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John and Stasi Eldredge


I recommend this book for both women and men - the latter, because it will help you understand women. ;-)

Captivating is a new take on the exploration of Biblical womanhood - it doesn't talk about who you should be, but rather about who you are.  Reading it, I was shocked how so many things the Eldredges talked about rang completely true, I'd just never realized them before because our world is so crooked.  It promotes neither feminism nor a male-domination system; it is simply a beautiful balance.

Although I have not yet read it, I've heard excellent reviews for Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul, the male counterpart of this book.







The Attributes of God is a fantasic survey of theology for people like you and me who don't have some sort of Bible degree.  It's kind of like Beautiful Outlaw, except it focuses on God as God, not exclusively God as Man - big-picture stuff like omnipresence, holiness, etc.  The information presented is thorough and far from simplistic, but it is presented at a slower pace and with a very conversational tone, so it's perfectly suited for "ordinary" believers.



That's all I'd like to share today.  What Christian nonfiction books do you recommend?


No comments: